Thursday, March 15, 2012

Family

My mom recently gave my dad a book of his mother's personal history for his birthday, written by my grandmother, compiled by two of my cousins.  It is the most incredible book and brought tears to my dad's eyes when he opened it.  

My grandma, Elaine Kofoed was incredible.  She's since passed away, but she kept a very detailed journal...even recounting my mom's wedding colors and how many guests attended their wedding.  I laughed as I read humorous stories of my dad as a kid.  He was such a little prankster and I'm sure gave her hell at times, but it was also touching to read as a young 17 year old, he defended and comforted her as she suffered a broken heart from a broken marriage.   She was strong.  It was difficult not harboring ill feelings towards my grandpa when reading the details of her divorce even though she recounted the events with such class.  

I love that Liv carries on her name.  I'm glad she'll be able to read about what kind of a woman she was named after.  It also inspired me to begin my own personal journal.  I have already typed up details of our wedding day, Liv's birth, and other fun details I don't want to forget.  My sister Callie and I are working on getting my mom's parents' history together, too.  I am very close with my grandparents.  Even though I see or talk to them about once a week, they aren't going to be around forever.  

I stand corrected in thinking family history was a geriatric hobby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment