Monday, June 25, 2012

Girl's Camp 2012

Isn't is beautiful?

I pretty much have the best ward ever.  We camped a whole week at Mia Shalom up Fairvew Canyon.  It was my first time there, and I thought it was gorgeous....minus all the dust.  We had nearly forty girls come, along with six leaders.  And here's the most amazing part: no drama.  With that many sleep deprived, hormonal teenagers + one leader who just happened to stop nursing cold turkey that week (yeah that was me), it was nothing short of a miracle.  Just kidding.  But it really did make the week awesome.  Each ward was given a region and we picked a country, our's being India.  We wore bindi dots on our foreheads and shawls around our heads all week to represent.  Throw in some Indian dancing around the fire, a holi festival of colors war, and no running water--we were the real deal.]

We leaders split up into both cabins and slept amongst our darling little campers.  It seemed like all they wanted to talk about was boys, kissing and how I met my husband.  They begged me to reveal my secrets, but duh...I knew better.  However, I couldn't resist feeding the fire a bit.  So of course I told them how sexy my husband is without his shirt and that he could basically body double for Jacob on Twilight which obviously was followed by lots of shrieking.  When they asked for kissing stories, I'd just sigh and tell them all my kissing stories would just make them jealous, only leading to more begging.  Whenever I could barely hold my eyes open, they'd beg us to stay up, and I had to tell them that their stories just weren't juicy enough.  It was hilarious.  I got a kick out of these girls.  

There was also the sweet teachable moments, too.  I care so much for all of these girls.  Quite a few are from single parent and blended families.  I am so impressed how strong they are and how kind they were towards each other.  I would take every one of them home with me if I could! 

The other leaders were awesome.  The six of us probably had more fun than the girls.  At one point, one of our leader's daughter was humiliated by her mother's dance moves and scolded her for acting like a teenager.  We choreographed an Indian Dance (a little thanks to my old Sparkette days, I was able to hold my own) and preformed it for the girls.  They thought it was a blast and then we taught it to them and danced nearly all day.  

I had so many positive girls camp memories growing up with the good old Fillmore 1st Ward.  There were a lot of faith-building memories I have of girl's camp.  Now as an adult, I was reminded why it always left such an impression on me.  I'm also discovering how much work actually goes into camp, but it's well worth the effort and time. 

I missed Liv terribly, but she was in good hands.  Due to complicated schedules, she was bounced around a bit, spending a few days with my mom, then my sister-in-law, my mother-in-law and my husband.  It was so fun to see her when I got home.  She gave me the biggest smile and kept cuddling her little face into my neck.  

One of the girl's made this cute photo collage
Ward skits...apparently they were funny. 

Our amazing camp director, Rachel. 

Our cute little cabin

4th year girls

Love these cute sisters 

I totally love this girl.  Funny side note:  English is her second language.  There was so much dust and she had a difficult time with a cough.  She came up to us and said that her "asparagus" was really sore and she needed a cough drop...meaning esophagus.  haha we laughed pretty hard.  but how cute is she?! 


1 comment:

  1. I went to Camp Shalom when I was in YW! It was the best- so pretty!

    ReplyDelete